Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Gossip From the Girls' Room: A Blogtastic! Novel by Rose Cooper


I'm a sucker for a good title. It's no coincidence that one of my favorite books also happens to have the best title I've ever heard (I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You, Ally Carter, 2006). When I find a really amazing title, I've just got to read the book. Sometimes the book lives up to the title, and other times I feel sad and betrayed. The book I'm talking about today falls into the second category.

When I found Gossip From the Girls' Room: A Blogtastic! Novel in the library's online category, I was so excited. I mean, a book where the main character eavesdrops in the girls' bathroom so she can blog about it? That sounds FANTASTIC. But sadly, this book is not told in blog format. It's a "pre-blogging notebook," whatever that means. The story is okay, and fans of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series will probably eat it up, but I can't get past the idea that the title lied to me.

Diary books for the 9-12 age range are selling like hotcakes right now, and this book is squarely within that genre. So I suppose the thing I don't understand is the publisher's need to call this book something it's not, when simply calling it what it is will rake in the sales.

Color me baffled.

No comments:

Post a Comment